Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years Eve, Antarctica Style

For New Years Eve here in Antarctica the main festivity was “icestock”, which is basically McMurdo’s version of Woodstock.  All week long they had been preparing/setting up for today’s big event.  There was a stage, bleachers, and a few booths set up just outside of the main dorm room area, and we had several different bands play throughout the night.  Despite the fact that there really aren’t too many people here in town, I was surprised d to see how many decent bands they were able to put together for the concert.  The show lasted from about 6:00pm to 1:00am, but because it was so cold people tended to filter in and out throughout the night.  They also roasted two full pigs for ten hours, and barbequed some hot dogs and burgers, etc. 


So I guess once again all I can say is that I never thought I would be bringing the New Year along side a bunch of hippies and nomads in the middle of Antarctica, but all in all I must say that I had a pretty good time, and surprisingly they really did manage to put together a decent show. 

2 comments:

  1. You all were some of the first on earth to welcome in the new year. Sounds like a fun, if cold, time. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome, and cold!! I finally updated our blog, so check it out. You have a link to it here on yours, so just click that.

    ReplyDelete