Saturday, January 8, 2011

Penguins!!!

Well…penguin that is, singular, but a penguin nonetheless!  Today I officially have exactly one month left on the ice, and to celebrate my one month anniversary, I saw one penguin tonight!  This guy is an Adelie penguin, and he is officially the first one that I have seen up close while on the ice.  The other day I was able to see about seven of them but they were way off in the distance. 




We sat and watched this one for about twenty minutes and he never took a step, just stood there like a statue basking in the sun.  Sometime within the next week or so, a big Ice Breaker ship is going to be coming in to smash up all of the ice and allow ships to come into McMurdo.  Word is, as soon as that happens, more and more penguins will start popping up, so hopefully this one is the first of many that I will be able to see in my last few weeks.  It would also be really cool to see Emperor penguins, which are the bigger ones, but we’ll see what happens, for now I’m just happy that I was able to see this guy!


No comments:

Post a Comment