Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hell of a Season!

Four months ago when I started my journey to Antarctica I didn’t really know what to expect.  Now, a few days from leaving, when I think back on some of the things I have seen and done within that time I can’t help but feel privileged to have had this opportunity.  Being so far from home there have been many highs and lows.  I have missed my family and home, friends, my dog, but along the way I have met a lot of great friends and interesting people from all over the country/world.  I now know why they say that Antarctica is the harshest continent on earth; I have experienced, and worked in, some of the coldest and windiest temperatures/conditions on the face of the planet.  I have seen things that I never thought I would have seen in my lifetime, from massive glaciers and icebergs, to a 14,000ft active volcano right in my backyard.  I have come face to face with wildlife and soared over the icy Ross Sea in helicopters.  I have flown 800 miles into the heart of the continent and experienced the bitter cold temperatures of WAIS.  I have spent the night in a snow trench at –22F weather and I still have all of my fingers and toes to show for it.  I have been to the Taylor Valley’s and have seen seal mummies and skeletons.  I have climbed Castle Rock, Observation Hill, and the Hut Point Ridgeline.  I have lived with the never-ending daylight.  I have flown in the cockpit of C130’s, C17’s, and A-star helicopters.  I have worked on projects for NASA, and have ran thousands of feet of rigid conduit for the National Polar Environmental Satellite System.  I have accomplished all these things, despite working 54-hour workweeks, attending school online, and living with 5 other dudes in close quarters. 



Yes, I think its safe to say that I have been through a lot in the past few months and while I am definitely ready to head home, I can now see why people decide to come back year after year.  Though I arrived with some uncertainty, I would like to think that I will be leaving with a new found confidence, the way I figure it, if I can make it through this, there’s not much else out there that I can’t do.  For everyone back home who has been following my blog, I just wanted to say thanks for your support and I will see you soon!
I am scheduled to leave the ice on February 9th, and after exploring New Zealand for a couple of weeks, will be home toward the end of February.  So with that, I guess its time to retire the blog, and the only thing left to say is that it’s been one hell of a season!







 








4 comments:

  1. It'll be good to see you when you get back, but we'll miss the blog. It's been fun following your adventure on-line and we loved the pics and videos. Have an awesome time in New Zealand. Can't wait to see ya.

    Lynn and Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drop me a line when you finally get home, glad you made the best of it. Still, I am jealous you hot to see penguins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sudah seru, odds nya menguntungkan lagi!!. itulah permainan sabung ayam online di sabung ayam
    Dapatkan informasi penting dalam dunia sabung ayam di website bawah ini
    http://agentaruhanayam.npage.de/3-Tanda-Ini-Diakui-Nilai-Ayam-Bangkok

    ReplyDelete